Sunday, June 25, 2006

Simple Men (1992)


Location: Home
Seen Before: No
Rating: 4.5

Hal Hartley's films are an absolute treat, and perhaps Simple Men is the best of his I've seen thus far.

The performances are spot on here, where you know the actors and Hartley where on the exact same page all the way through. No one quite writes dialogue like him, and, even when they try, it doesn't hold a candle to it.

Hartley maybe let's the film hang on for too long in some spots, but it's oh so worth it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Dienstfrey said...

A buddy has been telling me to see a Hal Hartley film forever and he finally bought me Simple Men, which I watched earlier this year... and I found it incredibly slow and uninteresting. Do tell me what I'm missing, since he was unable to.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Marco Roman said...

I'll have to agree with you that it is rather slow, but I think it's an appreciation for the dialogue and how it's delivered. No one does it this way (maybe Wes Anderson has his own similar brand) and I think it works really, really well. The actors do a really good job with it. Also, there are some absurd ideas (their dad was a terrorist/Yankee short stop) that perhaps can account for the style of humor we've seen in cinema during the recent years. Blame Hartley.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home