Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A History of Violence



Location: Harris Theater
Seen Before: No
Rating: 4.5

I was immediately intriguied upon seeing the trailer for this film at the end of summer. The reviews came pouring in upon its release and they were practically universally acclaiming it the best film of the year. For fear of being let down after being so interested in it, I kept putting off A History of Violence until it eventually dissapeared from the theaters. And then Pittsburgh Filmmakers brought it back this week for their annual "Films You May Have Missed" series. Knowing it was my last chance to see it before dvd, I made my way downtown last night with Rachel.
And was I ever blown away. I found myself, thoughout the whole film, waiting ecstatically in anticipation for what was to happen next. A couple of times I figured I knew what direction the film would take next--how the rest of it would play out--but Cronenberg never gave me the satisfaction (or dissapointment, rather) of being correct in my assumptions. With this film he has demonstrated a mastery of camerawork, lighting, actor direction, and pacing. I felt a bit dissapointed in the unfolding and execution of the climactic scene, but it doesn't matter due to the matchless quality of the film as a whole. All of the actors are pitch-perfect, especially Mortensen (the first graduate of the Lord of the Rings class to do something truely grande), Bello, and Harris. I will admit a hesitation in regard to the uniquely explicit sex scenes, but I can completely understand what Cronenberg was shooting for. Also, I felt that the relationship between father Tom and son Jack didn't completely click, and it's fine if an uneasy relationship between the two was the point, but if that's the case then it could have been explored and fleshed-out further.
Nit-picking aside, Cronenberg has fashioned the best film of the year that no other has been able to touch with a ten-foot pole. I imagine the final word in the Best Film category will be had when I see Brokeback Mountain this weekend, but A History of Violence is the one to beat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home