Friday, March 03, 2006

The Lost Weekend (1945)




Location: Home
Seen Before: No
Rating: 5.0

I'd been familiar with the story of this film, but just hadn't gotten around to check it out until I caught a scene of it on TCM a few weeks back. What I saw completely sucked me in--a New Yorker in his early 30's sweating over the fact that he does not have enough money to pay his tab in a fancy bar. He resorts to stealing the purse next to him and is soon caught and embarrased in front of the whole joint--even the piano player gets in on it and leads the crowd in cheering "he stole the purse!" I thought there was something really magical in these images and character; I wanted to keep watching but I held off, knowing I had to see it all the way though.
Last night when I was able to do just that, I found that the magic of that scene runs throughout the whole picture. I never felt Ray Milland was overacting or exaggerating, but I am curious as to how people who've worked with alcoholics (and alcoholics themselves) would judge this portrayal--fair? spot-on? over the top?
It all worked for me and further solidifies why I've been so in awe lately as I discover Billy Wilder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home