Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Short Cuts (1993)

Location: Home
Seen Before: No
Rating: 5.0

I have seen Altman's The Long Goodbye, The Player, and have tried to get through Gosford Park twice, but the gentleman can just not fully win me over. I've equated him to Guided by Voices--it is something that comes with time and age. Well, GBV happened for me but Altman yet to, until I saw Short Cuts. Despite its three-hour run-time, I grew to enjoy the film more and more as it progressed. I rather like how it is anti-climactic in not bringing all of the stories and characters to a head; doing this is truer to the way in which we are thrust into these lives as the film opens and then just as quickly pushed out as it closes. Seeing the wide range of talents is a treat, especially Tom Waits, as catching him on the screen is a rarity. Maybe this is Altman's most accessible film, but that's okay, because with him that is exactly where I have to start out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home